…. COMING SOON
(4 NIGHTS/5 DAYS)
This exciting new trail is coming soon and will cover an untamed area regarded by many as the Eden of the Wild Coast. Characterised by swathes of sandy beaches criss-crossed by estuaries and mangrove swamps, majestic cliffs and grassy hilltops – this route offers a new dimension to coastal hiking.
The adventure begins with your journey to the quaint holiday hamlet of Presley’s Bay where you will overnight at a seaside cottage. Spend the afternoon exploring the wonderful surround or just feasting your eyes on the views.
This 12.5 km day offers some of the most beautiful sections along the entire Wild coast. Pristine estuaries, one with natural Mangrove swamps at Mdumbi. This beach was rated us unbeatable by Don Pinnock from Getaway magazine. Enjoy your lunch in the shade of two giant Milkwood trees, before continuing to the Anchorage Resort to overnight at this rustic fisherman’s lodge. Warm hospitality, warm showers and cold refreshments await.
Strike out along the beach with your guide and porters to the Mtatha River, crossed by ferry, for the 8 km trail to Coffee Bay. This section is pretty much up and down and offers some of the most magnificent scenery. Your guide will take you to a series of caves in the dolerite cliffs, the brave can climb down to the wave cut platform to view, where the ANC cadres used to stash their arms caches during the liberation struggle. Lunch is enjoyed high up on a cliff from where one inevitably spot either Dolphin or whale. Arrive at Ocean View Hotel late afternoon, this family owned and managed hotel has earned an enviable reputation for hospitality and service.
On the final day, you + your guide will be transferred to the Hole in the Wall.. After enjoying this iconic sight your day’s 11 km will firstly take you along a stretch of beach, thereafter the gradient rises steeply. During the annual Sardine Run, this route offers spectacular views of frenetic activity in the sea as whales, dolphin, and game fish join thousands of Cape Gannet to feast on the sardines. After some steep up and down sections you will arrive back at Coffee Bay and the friendly Ocean View for your last night on the wild coast.
*This package is only available over set departure dates, Please inquire with our office*
Included in rate
- Transfers from East London to Presley Bay
- Transfer from Coffee Bay to East London
- Accommodation and all meals from dinner on day 1 to after breakfast on day 5
- Local community guides daily
- Community porter to carry your pack – guest to provide backpack
- Bed levies and vat
- Logistics As this trail covers sections of a very remote area, we make use of privately owned cottages and some self catering accommodation. Catering, in places is done by people coming in from afar, and bathrooms are shared on the first night at Presley’s. Please inquire from Wild Coast Holiday Reservation about the different options on this trail.